Sunday, May 8, 2011

Making space

The organisation bug has spread to the kitchen.

Yay for that, although we do luckily have a rather large kitchen, despite the overall smallness of the house. In it's previous life, the kitchen was done in pink and included a built in booth and seats, which are now looooooong gone, thankfully.

So, see this wee corner?

It was housing two recipe folders, two fruit bowls, the bread, the butter dish, my beloved thermomix, a large granite mortar and pestle and a knife block. As well as whatever random grains or nuts I happened to be soaking at any given time.

And now, gorgeous (mostly) emptiness.

'Scuse the enormous bowl of lemons, they're all ripening at once and with carpal tunnel making itself felt in my right hand....thanks baby #3......I'm not getting them juiced in anything like a hurry.
Meaning, that bowl wouldn't usually be there, post organisational blitz.

So what happened to the items that used to inhabit this space?


Well, apart from the knife rack (which I LOVE!) that dear Hubby installed on the underside of the shelf thus doing away with the wooden knifeblock that sat on the benchtop, most of the bulkier remaining items have been relocated here....


Which is actually a built in nook for the microwave.

See the power points? And the, er, unfinished wall that was always hidden by the microwave?

Where's the microwave gone?

Well, I was all for getting rid of it, until we left it unplugged for a couple of days and I realised I do actually use it, not for anything momentous mind you.

So now, the microwave resides here:


Which is one half of the cupboards under the kitchen sink, beside the dishwasher.

Brilliant, I tells ya!

Beside the micro is a plastic bin I store recyclables in before taking it to the recycling bin outside.

Where the micro is now, there used to be a second, identical plastic bin, for recyclables.

Take the second bin out (which means I'm walking one bin out more often, instead of making two trips with two bins, less often. Got that?) raise the shelf up a level (necessitating a hole to be cut in the shelf so the drain pipe from the kitchen sink can nest snugly in it

and ta dah!

More room on my bench and a less cluttered look overall.

I am newly in love with my kitchen, aaaaahhhh.....


3 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

So clever - makes me realise that we often store things because it's where everyone else does but a bit of thought can make it easier and more practical.

I'm sure I'll be heeding this advice when we try and cram ourselves into an affordable shoebox in Geneva!

Louisa said...

I love organisation and decluttering - pity I don't practise it more often. But with a potential move coming up at the end of the year I am slowing starting a huge declutter - of which freecycle is benifitting greatly - yay for recyclers!

Sue from Ky. said...

I try to keep my counter and table tops neater,(in case company drops in)but we both like everything at our fingertips,when and where we need it,and that makes organization next to impossible.We LIVE in our home,and it truly looks lived in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...